Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Journey

~ prompt of Writers Island - wk4 ~ (my point of view with mask on)

Remember, when you were a kid, in the back seat of the car, going on holiday? The excitement? Although your dad only just drove off, it felt like ages and all you could think of was "are we there yet?!"... Nowadays that scene could be sketched like in Shrek 2, you are Donkey and your parents, very frustrated, played one hell of a good copy of Shrek and Fiona.

I was never very good "with journeys", even though I used to (and still do actually) love taking part of it. But hey, patience... right? For most of the journeys, you need it and that's exactly what I lack of....

So when thinking about a "journey", the silly part of me is totally on Donkey's side...





(my point of view without mask on)

You're getting older
Your journey's been etched
On your skin


"Are we there yet?"
This journey seems to last forever. But maybe that's exactly how it's supposed to be. Some sort of a never ending trip, but with the difference that the destination of it, is to actually learn to 'travel', to make the best out of it, to enjoy the surroundings of the road you follow, and to know where you're heading to.

There's nothing wrong with "looking back", as long as you keep on your track, going forward, open minded, excited and wondering ... am I there yet?

I love traveling my journey, I'm just not very good at it. I've probably just never really grown up.

J (Donkey)


10 comments:

Pip said...

I would have hated to have been my parents. If we weren't stopping so that my sister or I could throw up we were hunting out the nearest public toilet for a comfort stop!

Thanks for the reminder that we need to slow down on this journey of ours.

Robin said...

I really enjoyed both of your pieces. Life truly is the greatest journey of all.

Anonymous said...

I like both...

Stopping and savouring..:D

paisley said...

i liked them both,, but being a mid-lifer myself the second one really hit home!!!!!

writerwoman said...

The second one really touched me.

paris parfait said...

Your poems reminded me of a funny, simpler version of Cavafy's poem about Ithaca and the journey. I like the humour and wisdom entwined in your post.

Tumblewords: said...

Particularly fine post - as I'm learning to expect from you...
Trying, I am, not to get too quickly to the 'I am there' end.

Marja said...

Very nice. Yeh I agree we have to learn to travel.

Jo said...

Marja, Gautami, Robin & Pip: glad you enjoyed it!

Paisley: gosh, I did'nt even realise that I'm a mid-lifer too, until you mentioned it :), but thanks anyway!

Writerwoman: and your comment touched me!

Paris Parfait: you can't imagine my reaction when I searched for Cavafy's poem about Ithaca and read it... how striking. I loved his version of "the journey" and the rest of his poetry. Thank you so much for bringing this up!

And Tumblewords: I found myself wondering what you would have to say about my post... :) It means a lot to me, your comments are so much appreciated; I can learn a great deal from you, whether you give compliments or critisism, I am always very grateful when you leave your say behind here!

J

Lucy said...

your cute post made me remember how I felt as a kid.... It seemed to take FOREVER to get where we were going, but the trip home was SO quick.